The draft is here and quite frankly I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, I have done minimal research, I might not even be able to name sixty prospects off the top of my head, so why not do a complete sixty pick mock draft.
To keep it simple I’m not going to trade picks and outside of a few picks I won’t be going to in-depth. This is more a fun exercise to see how many picks I can correctly predict. Let’s ride!
1. Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG, Georgia- Edwards has been mocked here for about twelve months now, and I don’t see how the Timberwolves can pass him up. They have a need at SG since I’m not sure if Malik Beasley can play at the level he did post trade for an entire year, or if they will even bring him back since he is a RFA.
2. Warriors: James Wiseman, C, Memphis- I fully expect the Warriors to move this pick, but if they don’t Wiseman would be an outstanding pick for them. I would really like to see how a top tier young guy develops alongside Steph and Klay. Even if they move the pick I expect whoever moves up to number two would still choose Wiseman.
3. Hornets: Deni Avija, SF, Israel- This is where it gets interesting. With MJ having his heart set on trading for Russell Westbrook I do think they pass on Lamelo Ball because of it. Whether it is tomorrow or four months from now I think Russ will be a Hornet and to do so they will have to give up Monk or Bridges, which then opens up a spot at the three.
4. Bulls: Lamelo Ball, PG, USA- There is so much hype around Lamelo and I don’t know what to make of it. Sure, the Bulls drafted Coby White last year, but Lamelo’s ceiling is so high they would be crazy to pass on him. Chicago has been hit hard this week with the Bears stinking again and Theo leaving the Cubs so let’s give them some hope.
5. Cavs: Obi Toppin, PF, Dayton-Cleveland has drafted point guards the last two drafts so now it’s time that they get some forwards, and the Cavs get to keep the high flying Dayton Flyer in the state of Ohio.
6. Hawks: Onyeka Okongwu, C, USC
7. Pistons: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State
8. Knicks: Devin Vassell, SF, Florida State
9. Wizards: Killian Hayes, PG, France
10. Suns: Saddiq Bey, SF, Villanova
11. Spurs: Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn
12. Kings: Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt
13. Pelicans: RJ Hampton, G, USA
14. Celtics: Vernon Carey Jr., C, Duke
15. Magic: Tyrese Maxey, SG, Kentucky
16. Rockets: Cole Anthony, PG, North Carolina
17. Timberwolves: Jalen Smith, PF, Maryland
18. Mavericks: Patrick Williams, SF, Florida State
19. Nets: Precious Achiuwa, PF, Memphis
20. Heat: Kira Lewis Jr., PG, Alabama
21. Sixers: Malachi Flynn, PG, San Diego State
22. Nuggets: Tyler Bey, PF, Colorado
23. Jazz: Tre Jones, PG, Duke
24. Pelicans: Aleksej Pokusevski, C, Serbia
25. Thunder: Josh Green, SG, Arizona
26. Celtics: Jahmi’us Ramsey, SG, Texas Tech
27. Knicks: Jaden McDaniels, PF, Washington
28. Thunder: Nico Mannion, PG, Arizona
29. Raptors: Theo Maledon, PG, France
30. Celtics: Leandro Bolmaro, SF, Argentina
31. Mavericks: Cassius Winston, SG, Michigan State
32. Hornets: Isaiah Stewart, C, Washington
33. Timberwolves: Tyrell Terry, PG, Stanford
34. Sixers: Xavier Tillman, PF, Michigan State
35. Kings: Daniel Oturu, C, Minnesota
36. Sixers: Elijah Hughes, SF, Syracuse
37. Wizards: Isaiah Joe, SG, Arkansas
38. Knicks: Ashton Hagans, PG, Kentucky
39. Pelicans: Reggie Perry, PF, Mississippi State
40. Grizzlies: Udoka Azubuike, C, Kansas
41. Spurs: Zeke Nnaji, C, Arizona
42. Pelicans: Sam Merrill, SG, Utah State
43. Kings: Payton Pritchard, PG, Oregon
44. Bulls: Paul Reed, PF, DePaul
45. Magic: Skylar Mays, SG, LSU
46. Blazers: Killian Tillie, PF, Gonzaga
47. Celtics: Desmond Bane, SF, TCU
48. Warriors: Robert Woodard II, SG, Mississippi State
49. Sixers: Immanuel Quickley, SG, Kentucky
50. Hawks: Cassius Stanley, SG, Duke
51. Warriors: Grant Riller, PG, College of Charleston
52. Kings: Nate Hinton, SG, Houston
53. Thunder: Nick Richards, C, Kentucky
54. Pacers: Myles Powell, SG, Seton Hall
55. Nets: Jordan Nwora, SF, Louisville
56. Hornets: Markus Howard, PG, Marquette
57. Clippers: Devon Dotson, PG, Kansas
58. Sixers: Lamar Stevens, SF, Penn State
59. Raptors: Jay Scrubb, SF, JUCO
60. Pelicans: Kaleb Wesson, C, Ohio State
Well that does it. I’m sure about six of these picks will be correct, but I’ll take it. Honestly, this draft isn’t nearly as mad as people are saying it is. There are a lot of role players in the NBA and who knows in the right system some of these guys that are unknown names right now could end up having decade long careers.
I’ll leave you with some Cassius Stanley dunks.